Beijing Weather

75F ~ 91F
Thundershowers
S at
View Weather Detail

Qiong Islet
    The small island is connected with the Circular City by Yong'an Bridge. A giant white dagoba rises on top of it. In summer lotus blossoms bloom in the lake surrounding the island.
Yong'an Bridge
    The bridge of white marble linking the Circular City and Qiong Islet was built in the 13th century. Two archways stand on either end of the bridge.One bears the inscription of "Piled Clouds" and the other bears the inscription of "Accumulated Emerald."
Yinsheng Pavilion
    Another pavilion named Di'ai stands to its west. Yinsheng Pavilion houses a square stone tablet inscribed with the "Note on White Dagoba Hill" in four languages of Han,Manchu,Mongol and Tibetan. Di'ai Pavilion keeps a stone tablet inscribed with the "Note on the surroundings of Dagoba Hill". Both inscriptions were made during the reign of Emperor Qian Long(1736-1795)of the Qing Dynasty.
Kunlun Stone
    Also known as "Genyue" because this and the "Yueyun Stone" came from the Genyue Garden in Kaifeng, Henan Province. The inscriptions of the two stones's names were carved in the handwriting of Emperor Qian Long of the Qing Dynasty.
Hall of the Wheel of Law
    The first hall in Yong'an Temple has five sections and a single layer of eaves. A small pagoda of glazed tiles rises atop the roof in the middle. Flanking the pagoda there are relief carvings of dragons playing with a pearl,also made of glazed tiles.
Pu'an Hall
    The third major hall in Yong'an Temple houses the statue of Tsongkhapa, founder of the Yellow Sect of Tibetan Buddhism. Flanking him are two favorite disciples:Panchen Lama and Dalai Lama.
Zhengjue Hall
    The second hall in Yong'an Temple keeps the smiling and plump Maitreya Buddha. He was a Vagrant Buddhist monk in the early 10th century with the secular name of Qici. He collected alms with a cloth bag and donated what he got to the temples.
Thunderbolt Bearer of Great Power and Virtue
    The Bodhisattva of the Secret of Tibetan Buddhism is vested with the power to suppress evil and protect the good. His image has a cow's head and human body with a vicious appearance.
White Dagoba
    It was originally built in 1651 but collapsed in an earthquake. The lamaist pagoda on Qiong Islet is 35.9 meters high with a tiered base and a body like an upturned bowl. Sutras in Tibetan language are carved inside the front gate. Fourteen copper bells hang from its copper canopy on top of which is a gilt ball like a flame. The central line of Qiong Islet goes from the front gate of Yong'an Temple up to the White Dagoba.
Shanyin Hall
    Located in front of the White Dagoba on Qiong Islet, the hall is a structure of glazed tiles in imitation of wood, circular on top and square at the bottom. Carved on the four walls are 445 Buddhist images.
Long Corridor
    The 300-meter-long corridor of two tiers runs from Yiqing Tower to the east to Fenliang Pavilion to the west. It is a copy of the corridor in the Jiangtian Temple in Zhengjiang, Jiangsu Province.
Hall of Pleasant Heart
    The hall stands on the west of the White Dagoba. It has a single gabled roof and gilt refters and pillars inside. During the Qing Dynasty the hall was used by the emperor to meet officials.
Spring Shade Over Qiong islet
    It was one of the Eight Grand Sights during the Jin Dynasty(1115-1234) in Beijing. Emperor Qian Long of the Qing Dynasty inscribed the words of "Spring Shade Over Qiong Islet" on a stone tablet.
Reviewing the Old Tower
   The two-story, oblong structure consists of two semicircles. There are 495 stone tablets inscribed with famous calligraphical pieces since the Wei and Jin Dynasties collected by Liang Shizheng.
Inside the 'Reviewing the Old' Tower
    The walls are inlaid with the inscriptions of "Calligraphy of Sanxi Studio", ancient master pieces.
Dew Plate
    A bronze statue of an immortal stands in the middle of Qiong Islet on the northern side, holding a dew plate. It was errected in the 18th century to collect dew to brew medicine for the royal family.
Fan Pavilion
    It is located on the northern side of Qiong Islet and faces north. A story says that writer Yuan Hong(328-376) of the Jin Dynasty received a fan from his friend when he was appointed a local magistrate. His friend urged him to do good deeds at his post. People built the fan-like small pavilion to commemorate the occasion.
Mujianshi
    It is a small independent courtyard on the northern side of Qiong Islet. Visitors like to take a break in this tranquil place.
Zhizhu Hall
    It is located on the eastern side of Qiong Islet with zigzagging paths and ancient trees. The hall sits on a semicircle base of bricks. From there visitors can see the five pavilions on Jingshan Hill to the east while enjoying a cup of tea.